Thinking about selling your home within the next few years can get your mind reeling with things that you want to do to your home before you put it on the market. Good news is that there are many things you can do to your home without spending a lot of money. Mary McCoy at Money Crashers has some great ideas to save you money and update your home!
- Smooth out your ceilings. This might seem like something that is insignificant, but removing the popcorn from your ceiling can make a dramatic difference. Popcorn ceilings are outdated and very hard to paint or brighten up. You can get details on how to do it yourself Here.
- Change to LED Lighting. Fluorescent lighting is outdated and makes your living area seem uninviting. Updating your light fixtures and adding LED light bulbs will create warmth throughout your home.
- Curb Appeal! I cannot say this enough, curb appeal is important. This is the first thing a potential buyer sees and will most likely determine if they will go through the front door. And the good news is that you can make your home more attractive without paying a landscaper. Simple things such as trimming out of control bushes, cutting the grass and pulling weeds can clean up the front of the house. Replacing your front door will also increase security and energy efficiency and will also look better.
- Paint the walls. If you walk into your home and it doesn’t feel inviting, maybe it is time to brighten your walls. Using neutral colors throughout will brighten your home and make it feel more homey.
- Refinish or paint your kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Replacing cabinets can be expensive and unnecessary. Refinishing or painting them will save you money while creating appeal at the same time. Replacing all of the hardware will also make a big difference in the appearance.
- Update doorknobs. Go through your home and look at your doorknobs. Are they old? Dated? Spending a few dollars on all new doorknobs will save you money in the long run. It is amazing what such a little thing will do to help sell your home.
There are many more inexpensive updates that you can do to your home. This will make your home more appealing for potential buyers and also for you!
When you are ready to sell your home, we at Haylen Group are here to help you with all of your real estate needs! If you are unsure what your options are, call Helen Chong at (408) 800-LIST or email at Helen@HaylenGroup.com. You can also visit us at our website for available listings and additional information.