Ready to buy a home but overwhelmed by the idea of homeowner’s insurance? This is something that is required, but there are ways to reduce your costs in California. The Insurance Information Institute has many different tips to help reduce your home insurance costs.
- First thing to know about homeowner’s insurance is that a standard policy does not cover flood or earthquakes. In California, you can get an earthquake policy from the California Earthquake Authority.
- Second thing is to shop around. Different companies offer different prices and policies. When you shop for an insurance policy, always ask your insurance broker to go over your policy in detail; each insurance company or policy can have very different coverage. Cheaper does not always mean better.
- Raising your deductible will also decrease your cost. The higher the deductible, the lower the cost.
- Use the same company for all of your insurance policies. You might get a multi-policy discount by keeping your auto and home under the same company.
- Update your home. Updating plumbing, electricity and HVAC can help reduce your costs.
- Install a security system in your home. Having an alarm system, smoke detectors and dead-bolt locks can get you another discount.
- Ask for discounts. Most companies won’t offer them, so it is important to ask and let them know you are shopping around.
- Keep your credit score good. Maintaining a good credit score can lower your payments.
- Reevaluate your possessions once a year. Items go down in value and you don’t want to pay for something that isn’t worth that price anymore.
- Many insurance companies will reduce your premium if you have an automatic shut-off valve for your gas meter. It costs only a couple hundred dollars, but it’s well worth it, especially for your safety during earthquake.
As you can see, there are many ways to reduce your policy cost. You can go here to get more tips and order an information packet as well.
When you are ready to buy or sell your home, we at Haylen Group are here to help you with all of your real estate needs! If you are unsure what your options are, call Helen Chong at (408) 800-LIST or email at Helen@HaylenGroup.com. You can also visit us at our website for available listings and additional information.