As we all know, we are in a severe drought this year in California! There are simple things that you can do to save water and maintain throughout a drought and beyond.
These tips are great to use at all times. Water is a precious natural resource that may eventually run out if we aren’t careful.
A great article with 9 Ways to Save Water in a Drought, found on RYOT, has some great tips.
- Go through your home and fix any leaks. 20 Gallons of water each day might literally be going down the drain.
- Replace your showerhead with one created to conserve water.
- Take a shorter shower. One minute less time in the shower saves around 2.5 gallons of water.
- Try flushing the toilet less. Each flush uses from 3.5 to 7 gallons of water each time.
- Only run your dishwasher with a full load.
- Only run your washing machine with a full load.
- Invest in a high efficiency washing machine to save up to 25 gallons of water with each load.
- Instead of hosing off your porch, driveway, or sidewalk sweep it and save the water.
Another great website that lists 100+ Ways to Save Water is Water Use It Wisely.
Here are a few suggestions from their website.
- Purchase a new toilet that is water efficient.
- Turn off your sink when you wash your hands or brush your teeth.
- While you wait for your water to get hot, collect the cold water and use it to water plants or for other uses.
- Save water from steaming vegetables to start a healthy broth.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge rather than filling up every time at the sink. This way, every drop gets used.
- Add food coloring to your toilet tank to look for leaks. If the food coloring ends up in the toilet before flushing, you probably have a leak.
- If you accidentally drop ice cubes, put them in a houseplant or your pet’s water bowl instead of down the drain.
- Collect your cold shower water while waiting for the hot water and use it to water your outdoor plants instead of using a sprinkler.
We hope these suggestions will help you be more water conscious and help fight the drought! We at Haylen Group are here to help you with all of your real estate needs! If you are unsure what your options are, call Helen Chong at (408) 800-LIST or email at Helen@HaylenGroup.com. You can also visit us at our website for available listings and additional information.