I hope you are making the most of last month of summer! Come see me at The Silicon Valley Food and Art Festival on August 17 where I am honored to be an award presenter.
With the end of summer come bugs, rodents, and the preparation for winter in San Jose, CA! Now is the time to focus on preparing for winter and keeping the end of summer bugs out!
An article at MSN Real Estate outlines a few things to focus on in August.
- Remove things that attract pests
- August is the time where mosquitoes are terrible, spiders are everywhere, and rodents are looking for a place to cool off. To deter as many as possible take a walk around your home and look for things stacked against your home. This could be wood, tools, toys, or even storage sheds. All of these things create a great home for many creatures.
- Stacking firewood against your home is a big problem because spiders and rodents use it as a home and the wood can lock moisture between the wood and your home creating rot. Always stack firewood off the ground and away from the house.
- If you have fruit or nut trees make sure they are well maintained and the ground is kept clean below them.
- Seal garbage cans to keep pests out. Use a tie-down if needed.
- Wash and rinse all recyclables and store in a sealed container.
- Keep pet food in sealed containers.
- Remove sitting water because mosquitoes breed there.
- Create a lasting lawn
- Mow grass often
- Use the highest setting on your mower to discourage weed growth and create strong roots.
- Water in the early morning.
- Clean drains and sink plugs
- Use a homemade drain cleaner once a month to clean drains out and keep them smelling fresh.
- Clean the U drains under your sinks.
- Pull out the drain plug and clean.
- Fix leaky faucets
- Don’t forget to turn off the water to your sink!
- Replace gaskets.
- Replace the faucet if needed.
- Clean and replace grout and caulk
- Clean grout with a toothbrush and cleaner
- Replace old caulking with new silicone tub and tile caulk.
- Furnace and water heater inspections
- Get your furnace inspected yearly to prepare for winter.
- Have your water heater professionally serviced and inspected once a year.
We at The Haylen Group are here to help you with all of your real estate needs! If you are unsure what your options are, call Helen Chong at (408) 800-LIST or email at Helen@HaylenGroup.com. You can also visit us at our website for available listings and additional information.